In case you wondered how much models made for being photographed and walking runways, Forbes has released their top-earning models list and Gisele Bundchen has good reason to be smiling, once again taking top spot. The money list is populated with more commercial (read mainstream) models who have high-paying makeup, jewelry and lingerie contracts and campaigns and not necessarily the girls who kill it on high fashion runways. While six of the 11 can probably thank Victoria’s Secret for their windfall, the secret to success seems to be diversifying through TV, endorsements and clothing lines (Gisele, Natalia, Kate & Heidi).
Read more and weep…
Forbes cut the list from 15 to 11 this year, eliminating Karolina Kurkova, Isabeli Fontana, Gemma Ward, Selita Ebanks, Valentina Zelyaeva and Hilary Rhoda by doing so. Ambrosio made a reappearance after falling off last year and the only new addition to the list is Brazilian Emanuela de Paula, who signed with Victoria’s Secret and Next this year.
Here’s the full list with their earnings and big employers for 2009:
- Gisele Bundchen, $25 million (Versace, Rampage, Dior, Ebel)
- Heidi Klum, $16 million (Victoria’s Secret, Project Runway, Germany’s Next Top Model, Birkenstock, Diet Coke, Volkswagen, McDonald’s and LG)
- Kate Moss, $8.5 million (Topshop, Versace, Longchamp, David Yurman)
- Adriana Lima, $8 million (Victoria’s Secret, Maybelline)
- Doutzen Kroes, $6 million (Victoria’s Secret, L’Oreal, Seven For All Mankind, Calvin Klein)
- Alessandra Ambrosio, $6 million (Victoria’s Secret, C&A, Liverpool)
- Natalia Vodianova, $5.5 million (Calvin Klein, Guerlain, Jacob & Co., Etam)
- Daria Werbowy, $4.5 million (Lancome, Balmain, H&M, Vogue Eyewear, Roberto Cavalli, Isabel Marant)
- Miranda Kerr, $3 million (Victoria’s Secret, XOXO)
- Carolyn Murphy, $3 million (Estée Lauder, Banana Republic, Lord & Taylor)
- Emanuela de Paula $2.5 million (Victoria’s Secret, Next)